Tuesday, June 30, 2009

je suis cochonne



I went to Guemes Island for the weekend with family. The weather was extraordinary and the time spent was relaxing and most enjoyable. I have recently acquired a shellfish license and since then have consumed more oysters than most do over a lifetime.

A few weeks ago I was at one of our favorite sushi restaurants in Seattle, Chiso, (Maneki is my all-time favorite) and I was lucky enough to find an oyster special on the menu. The "special oysters" were Shigoku oysters on the half shell, served with a nice little sauce. The chef went on and on about where they buy their oysters, Taylor Shell Fish Farms. I realized on Guemes that I was a short drive away from Taylor and so I ventured off and bought some Kumamotos, Shigokus , as well as Olympias and Virginicas. YUM. I shucked my little heart out (64 oysters! - not my heart.) I made a mignonette made up of rice vinegar, shallots, ginger, tobasco, and salt and pepper.....delish!!

The Olympias are as big as a dime, probably wouldn't buy those again. The Kumamotos and Shigokus were so delicate and smooth, with a hint of sweetness. The Virginicas, can't say that I remember what those were like, I was in an oyster coma.

I  probably won't order 5 dozen again (oh yes I will), but I'll have to save for our next oyster extravaganza.